#JOINTHEHERD

On 30th April 2016, The President of Kenya – Uhuru Kenyatta – burnt Kenya’s entire ivory stockpile in front of the world as an effort to end poaching and send a message to the poachers that Kenya’s wildlife are worth more alive. He burnt 105 Tonnes of ivory making it the biggest burning of ivory in history. Apart from the ivory, The President burnt colobus, leopard and other irreplaceable animal skins.

I had the opportunity to visit the site before the burn and it was sad seeing it. The threat of extinction is real for animals! and if we don’t do anything we might be seeing pictures or stuffed look-alike animals in the museum instead of seeing them in the wild.

Snapchat-4275324319361515723 #JOINTHEHERD

There were different reactions about the burning of the ivory – some negative and others were positive but what most people agreed on is that there’s a need to save our precious animals.

Snapchat-2188270123489834576 #JOINTHEHERD

I am happy that Kenya made a statement to the world that they are serious about protecting their wildlife heritage. However, I believe Kenya not only needs to burn the ivory but also take more action such as jailing the perpetrators.

I am a big fan of volunteering and love participating in causes that I can make a difference. My new-found love is protection of wildlife and I pledge to inform and educate people on protection of our wildlife. I wouldn’t want to tell my children’s children that there used to be animals such as elephants and rhinos, I would like them to experience what I have experienced, that is, view animals in their natural habitat.

Final thoughts:

Protection of wildlife starts with YOU! You don’t have to participate in conservation-work hands on, but you can join conservation organizations.  Here are some reputable organizations you can join: Africa Wildlife Foundation, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Wildlife Conservation Society, World Wildlife Fund and many more. I challenge you to make a difference in your community…you don’t have to do big stuff, small actions also count such as sharing conservation content on your social links or donating at your local animal orphanage.

Well, have a good week guys and as always I like hearing from you, please leave a comment below. xx

Share:

10 Comments

1. Karlie @Wanderlust
    May 3, 2016 / 9:47 am

I admire your work Sylvia. Inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

2. Elephant lover
    May 4, 2016 / 1:34 pm

Interesting read.

• May 8, 2016 / 5:01 am

Thanks for reading and for your positive feedback 😊

3. Tracy Lutherman
    May 4, 2016 / 1:49 pm

Super sad to hear those elephants had to die and hope they stop being poached.

• May 8, 2016 / 5:00 am

Yeah, it’s really sad and hope they stop being poached too…

4. jem
    May 11, 2016 / 6:24 am

loving your blog sly

5. Jane McGowan
    July 7, 2016 / 9:00 pm

Thank you for your very informative blog. We are going in September as foster parents. We will be in Nairobi for two days so may well visit on both days. So are you saying we need to book to go in the evening as foster parents? Thanks Jane

• July 9, 2016 / 1:05 pm

Hi Jane, glad you like my blog. You will enjoy visiting DSWT and Yes, as foster parents you have to call the Trust and book a visiting slot. In fact at the main gate, the security guard will ask whether you have booked or not so make sure you call the Trust and inform them when you intend to visit. For the morning session (11-12noon) you don’t need to call the Trust. I would recommend you also tour other places too…maybe day 1 early in the morning from 6am tour the Nairobi National park then have lunch there and afterwards proceed to DSWT.
      Day 2: You can visit any one or two of these places Giraffe centre or Karen Blixen Museum or Giraffe Manor, thereafter proceed to DSWT.
      The additional places I have mentioned are not more than 10km from DSWT, the only issue would be traffic.

However, just make sure you get to DSWT on time, they are punctual. It starts at 5pm and people should leave at 6pm.

Well, if you have more questions, you can contact me via the contact form in the contact section or send me an email to sylvia@slyglobetrotting.com.

Regards,